19 August 2018 / Club News



Registration Fun Day

  Saturday 18th August 2018



                                PAT JEFFERSON MEMORIAL MATCH


The orgainsers of the days’ events and and the occasion of this match deserved better weather conditions, but still a sizeable crowd gathered on a damp and rainy afternoon to witness a hugely entertaining contest played in great spirit, and expertly refereed by Dolgellau’s Carwyn Lewis.

Pat will have coached most of the Dolgellau side, when they were barely teenagers.  Now, most, in their late forties rose to the occasion magnificently, defying the ageing process, and made a mockery of being ‘in retirement’ from the game. Dolgellau went ahead after twenty minutes, when wing Robert Williams darted over in the left corner, for his first score in over ten years.  However COBRA, were bolstered by Dinas Mawddwy stalwarts, Dylan Llewelyn, and brothers, Berwyn and Gerallt Hughes, and it was the latter who brought the visitors level only two minutes later with a deserved try, and  the conversion made it 5-7.

However Dolgellau were always threatening, and with skipper Justin Kelly inspirational, went ahead after half an hour. Centre Mike Parkes finishing off a skilful move and expert chip from prop Alun Jones.    Parkes added the conversion to put Dolgellau 12-7 ahead at the interval.


Ten minutes into the 2nd half, evergreen flanker, Andy Johnson, carved an opening with an outrageous inside pass for centre Parkes to score near the posts, and he duly added the extras to put Dolgellau 19-7 ahead.  But COBRA were far from finished and  big Eddie Mc Guire surged over after twenty five minutes tom make it 19-14.   But less than a minute later, Dolgellau’s Mike Parkes, again involved, and flanker Edward  Williams went over. This time, scrum half Owain Thomas slotted over the conversion to give Dolgellau a 26-14 cushion.  

The last word went to the visitors, as Berwyn Hughes barged over with only four minutes remaining, and set up a nail biting last few minutes, at 26-21, but tired limbs prevented any further chances emerging, and referee, Lewis’ whistle brought the match to a close, and end a successful days’ events, with many thanks to the organisers and those who braved the conditions to support it

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments